Friday and Saturday mornings in Xochimilco
My favourite things at Tianguis Alternativo El Pochote
- Jewelry and toys from the workshops of Piña Palmera – an organization that gives opportunities to people with different abilities on the coast of Oaxaca
- Italian and Asian fusion foods (even homemade sun-dried tomatoes!) from a Italian Korean family that has lived in Oaxaca for years
- Live music with violin or marimba
- Coffee and espresso, chocolate and atole, tejate and nopal water
- Memelas and tacos
- Nieves and helados (icecream)
- Handmade cosmetics, local textiles and hand-made clothing
- Wildcrafted mushrooms, goat cheese and artisan yogurt
- Workshops about gardening and solar ovens
- Organic vegetables and fruit from local farms in the valley
I found some beautiful photos here to give you an idea of what it is like.
Planning your visit
Tianguis Alternativo El Pochote is a fantastic place to have breakfast and buy some of the alternative products that are gaining popularity in Oaxaca. The tianguis sets up in the patio of the Xochimilco church every Friday and Saturday from 9am to 3pm. Stop by the bank machine, you will definitely need some cash, and bring your reusable shopping bags.